In Training!

I am currently training for my third endurance race: a 10K & half-marathon in one weekend! Join me on my crazy journey to the finish line!

Saturday, November 30, 2013

First Month Training Fun!

So, I'm finally back to blogging about my running.  I started my GSC training a month ago, and so far so good.  I've learned a few things that will hopefully help me make my goals of completing the GSC & finishing the Princess Half in under 3 hours:

  • I like running in skirts (never thought I would).  However, I have discovered which ones I like (fuller skirts with more material) and don't like (short, slimmer jersey skirts).  I think I need a sparkly one or two for my races... :)
  • Shoes make the woman!  I ran three of the past four weeks with my old shoes from last year, and then only ran in my new shoes this week.  What an amazing difference!  I told my hubby that it felt like I was running on marshmallows today, minus the sticky mess...  Every time I plunk down a crazy amount of money for shoes, I just need to remember that they are a necessity, not a silly want. Plus, I'm not the kind of person to spend a horrendous amount on shoes regularly.  Now Gator stuff, totally different discussion.
  • You run what you eat.  When I've eaten healthier, my runs are always better.  I still like my "comfort foods," but I need to save them for rest/recovery days instead of running days.  I have also discovered that I don't crave some of the evil foods nearly as much as I used to.  Those chocolate covered yellow cake doughnuts are disgusting to me now.  I'd much rather have a container of Greek yogurt and call it done.  The hard part will be eating well during the holidays (sigh...).
  • Strength training with pilate-type exercises after my training runs have made me run better.  I've been reading Runner's World magazines more regularly as of lately, and I've gotten some good ideas for trying to improve my running.  My new favorites are Superman & the one-legged bridge. :) 
The best run so far in my training was today!  My hubby took me to my favorite Italian restaurant yesterday for dinner, and I was able to enjoy some spinach fettuccine with grilled chicken.  I only ate half of the plate, so I wasn't stuffed to the point of agony.  Plus, I have leftovers for lunch today.  When I ran at the park this morning, I posted my best time EVER for 6 miles:  1:12!  My mileage breakdown was interesting:
  • Mile 1:  11:51
  • Mile 2:  11:43
  • Mile 3:  11:41
  • Mile 4:  13:44 (due to a quick pit stop)
  • Mile 5:  11:53
  • Mile 6:  11:24 ("Magical Mile")
I think I have figured out that starting out a little slower has helped me to do better overall, and I was able to make my "magical mile" 30 seconds faster than the rest of the run.  I'm anxious to see how my 8-miler in two weeks will go!

Here's to hoping for more amazing runs & healthy training! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment